On Saturday, we spent the day in New York City. We rode the train down from Patterson which is a trip of just over an hour. Joel's roommate Ryan joined us for the day and Andrea's brother-on-law Mark joined us for dinner. I wish I would have gotten a group shot. Since I have been to NYC several times, I didn't take as many pictures as in times past.
We walked over 9 miles according to Mom's pedometer despite taking several subway rides. Come to think of it, I didn't see a lot of fat people in NYC.
Chrysler Building which was built in 1930 is an Art Deco style building whose features were based on Chrysler automobiles. The corners of the 61st floor house showcase "Eagles" which are replicas of the 1929 Chrysler Hood Ornaments.
New York Public Library which opened in 1911. The two famous sculptures in front are titled "Lions". One is named "Patience and the other "Fortitude". During December wreaths hang around their necks and during formal events, they wear top hats and bow ties.
William Cullen Bryant statue in Bryant Park.
This park is dedicated to a man who wrote poetry such as "To a Waterfowl" (he couldn't support his family as a poet so spent most of his life working as an attorney) and translating Homer, is now primarily known as the location of Project Runway's Fashion Week.
Joel in front of Radio City Music Hall which was the largest indoor theatre (capacity 6,000) when it it was built in 1940.
Joel fulfilling his dream of performing at Radio City Music Hall. Joel will probably forever hold it over our heads that someone asked him if he was "Ryan Phillippe" (Previously married to Reese Witherspoon and in some stupid movies like "I Know What You Did Last Summer"). Personally, I'm not seeing it...
Then later in the day, some young woman came up and asked Joel if she could take his picture for a fashion project she had to complete for school. He asked if he was her example of "Good" or "Bad" fashion and she said, "Good, of course". Just what Joel needs, more ego.
Channel Gardens at Rockefeller Center
Scenes from Rockefeller Center
Prometheus Statue (1933). Prometheus was the Greek God who stole fire from Zeus to give to the mortals.
Trump Tower
We ran across a film crew filming a scene from "Friday Night Nights". I've never seen the show but looked up the actors names. The kid in front of the wheelchair is Taylor Kitsch who plays "Tim Riggins" and the kid in the wheelchair is Scott Porter who plays "Jason Street" on the TV show. I hope I figure out when this episode airs so I watch it. Chuck may have a cameo.
Scenes from Central Park
Bathesda Fountain (Angel of the Waters) in Central Park (1873). It is based on John chapter 5.
Former sight of the World Trade Center
Looking towards World Trade Center Site from the cemetery at St. Paul's Chapel. St. Paul's Chapel (built in 1766) is the only surviving church from the American Revolution era. George Washington attended this church when in New York City. The cemetery was covered in debris after the 9/11 attack.
Scenes from Wall Street
The New York Stock exchnage has been draped in an American Flag since 9/11.
Chuck and I in front of the "Charging Bull" statue. This sculpture is considered "gorilla art". It was not commissioned, rather it was built and placed without permission in 1989. The City removed the statue but due to public outcry was forced to bring it back. It was then placed it in it's current location near Bowling Green.
There were tons of people taking pictures of the statue (it is the considered the most photographed statue in the city). You had to jump in quick to get your picture taken with the Bull. One older woman kept saying, "Ok, I want a picture with just the bull, no people". She repeated this several times without cooperation from the crowd. Her exasperation will be a memory I will never forget.
This was my fifth visit to New York City. It is always interesting but I had decided I did not need a million more NYC shots. However, I guess I couldn't resist just one more Statue of Liberty shot. (FYI--the real name of the statue is "Liberty Enlightening the World"). On a previous visit, we took a tour to the top of the "crown". Since 9/11, you can go no further than the pedestal.
Andrea & Joel at dinner in "Little Italy".
The Hogan family famous "cougar shot".
Street Scene in Little Italy
All the things we wanted to buy the baby but couldn't afford.
More celebrity sightings in Times Square.
Times Square Street Scenes.
Andrea and her brother-in-law Mark (who lives in New Jersey and met us for dinner).
Chuck and Natalie in the Big Apple again.
While in Times Square, we ran across the film crew filming another "Friday Night Lights" scene. The actore Taylor Kitsch is enjoying some Starbucks while waiting to film his scene. I have no idea how they are able to film in such crowds. Andrea, Mark, Joel and Ryan had gone into "Toys R Us" which has a large ferris wheel inside. Mom and I had wandered down the street to watch the filming. Chuck said he would just wait outside the building for us all to return. The film crew kept trying to get Chuck to move but he refused saying, "I told my family I would meet them right here and I'm not moving" so they were forced to film around him. Be sure to tune in for Chuck's possible TV debut.







































