Sunday, November 9, 2008

Cadillac Mountain

A picture of Andrea and I getting "High".

Me, Chuck, Mom and Andrea on top of Cadillac Mountain. I was taking the picture when a guy comes up and offers to take a picture with everyone in it. As he starts to take the picture, a woman comes up and tells him to get in the picture. We all started laughing so I'm sure she thought we were crazy. I think it would have been funny to have a stranger in the shot.


Cadillac Mountain is 1,530 feet tall making it the highest point along the Atlantic coast.

Cadillac's name was inspired by Antoine Laumet, a Frenchman who arrived on the island in 1688. He proclaimed himself "Sieur de Cadillac" (Sir Cadillac) after a small town near his home town and designed a fake coat of arms to go along with his title. This bogus coat-of-arms still graces the hood of a certain American automobile.

I love this picture I took of Mom taking a picture with the cruise ships and the city of Bar Harbor in the background. Around 70 cruise ships visit Bar Harbor a year.

A closer view of a cruise ship and the town which sits on "Frenchman's Bay".

Chuck and Mom on the trail at the summit.

Beautiful view from the summit.

Another view from the summit trail. Cadillac mountain is the highest point on the Atlantic coast North of Rio de Janeiro.

Andrea, Bri and Joel.

Between October 7 and March 7, Cadillac Mountain is the first place in the United States to see the sunrise. We didn't test the theory.

Natalie and Andrea.

Another view from the top.

The first European to visit the bay was Samuel Champlain in 1604. Mount Desert Island is the only place in the United States, other than Louisiana, where land titles can be traced to the French Crown.

Champlain named the island "L'isle des MontsDesert" or "Island of Barren Mountains". Today we call it "Mount Desert Island". Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park are both on Mount Desert Island.

Fall colors on the mountain.

There is a nice view of the "Porcupine Islands" from Frenchman Bay Overlook on the way up to Cadillac Mountain. These mountains were named for their resemblance to porcupines with their pointy pine trees.